|Song by Rammstein from the album Mutter|
|GEMA database ID:||5236901-001|
Studio Miraval, Correns
Toytown Studios, Stockholm
Masterdisk, New York City
|Released:||2 April 2001|
|Single:||25 March 2002|
|Live debut:||16 April 2000|
|Last played:||25 May 2012|
|Stream / Buy:|
- A very early instrumental concept for the song, featuring an extended baby sample, was found on a self-made demo tape by Richard from 1994. Initially, this was thought by some to be a standalone song, but it was later confirmed that it did in fact evolve directly into Mutter.
- The Vocoder Mix of the mix includes an extended orchestral bridge, which has later been used again for inclusion on the album for the vinyl remasters, which first appeared in 2015 as part of the XXI box set.
- Richard: "(...) I wrote it years ago, but never wrote lyrics for it. Till wrote the lyrics about the relationship he has with his mother. It's strange because I actually have the same issues with my mother. When I was growing up, she pushed me away because she didn't like me much. The song is about dealing with your childhood as you grow up. It took me a long time to realize it, but my whole life has been affected by my relationship with my mother. It's taking a lot of time to sort things out, but I'm working on it."
- Till: "(...) The intro was written by Richard. I tried to put a stanza of lyrics there, but it didn't really work. The chorus, honestly, was born already in the studio. Everyone suggested something different, so it was a team effort. Originally the chorus was the second verse. But at some point we realized that there were too many words. In the end we just decided to do the chorus with the word Mutter."
- Richard admitted that it's his favorite song from the album.
- Schneider said that he doesn't always like hearing the song because it still often brings a tear to his eye and touches him a lot. He thinks this is still one of their strongest songs.
Feuer frei! (UK CD2)
|04:28||2000||2 Apr 2001|
|Mutter (Radio Edit)||Mutter (single)
Feuer frei! (UK CD1)
|03:40||2000||25 Mar 2002||Edited|
|Mutter (Vocoder Mix)||Mutter (single)||04:32||2000||25 Mar 2002||Vocoder vocals|
|Mutter||Made in Germany||04:28||2000||2 Dec 2011||Remastered|
|Mutter||XXI||04:32||2000||4 Dec 2015||Remastered|
|6-Track Demo 1||05:48||1994||1994||Instrumental demo version|
Full baby sample
Significantly different instrumentation
|Mutter||Rammstein: Paris||Audio||05:20||6 Mar 2012
7 Mar 2012
|Palais Omnisports, Paris||19 May 2017|
|Mutter (Sono's Inkubator Mix)||Mutter
Made in Germany
|07:22||Sono||25 Mar 2002||Remastered on Made in Germany|
Labeled as Remix by Sono on Made in Germany
|Mutter (Zend Avesta Mix)||Zend Avesta||Unreleased|
|Type||Description||First played||Last played|
|6 Aug 2001||Video||Escena||Monterrey||Mexico|
|Mutter||Joern Heitmann||March, 2002|
Die Tränen greiser Kinderschar
|母 (Official Japanese translation by Makiko Shimada)|
- A detailed history and summary of the demo version of this song can be found here, composed of all that was known up to the upload date.