|Born:||4 January 1963 (Age 56)
Leipzig, East Germany
|Previous bands:||First Arsch|
Till Lindemann was born in Leipzig, East Germany, but he grew up in the village of Wendisch-Rambow near Schwerin (in East Germany). His father was a children's poet named Werner Lindemann, and his mother, Brigitte "Gitta" Hildegard Lindemann, was a journalist and writer until she retired. Lindemann has one sister who is six years younger. At age 11 he went to a sports school at the Empor Rostock Sport Club, and from 1977 to 1980 attended a boarding school. His parents lived separately for career reasons after 1975.
In 1978, Lindemann was a participant in the European Junior Swimming Championships in Florence finishing 11th in the 1500 m freestyle, and seventh in the 400 m freestyle swimming a time of 4'17"58 - was shortlisted to go to 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow but discontinued the sport soon after because of an injury. According to Lindemann, "I never liked the sports school actually, it was very intense. But as a child, you don't object." Lindemann later worked as an apprentice carpenter, a gallery technician, a peat cutter and a basket weaver.
Lindemann started his music career in the 80's with a band called First Arsch, where he played the drums. The band even released a full album, titled Saddle Up. In 1989, Lindemann sang background vocals on the song Lied von der unruhevollen Jugend by the punk band Feeling B. Right after First Arsch split up, Lindemann joined Rammstein.
- 1986 - ????: First Arsch
- since 2015: Lindemann
- 1989: Feeling B - Lied von der unruhevollen Jugend (vocals)
- 2000: Puhdys - Wut will nicht sterben (vocals)
- 2003: Hanzel und Gretyl - Intermission (vocals)
- 2003: Richard Kruspe & Till Lindemann - Schtiel (vocals, drums)
- 2007: Apocalyptica - Helden (vocals)
- 2010: Russ And The Velvets - That's Me (vocals)
- 2014: Roland Kaiser - Ich weiß alles (lyricist)
- 2018: Emigrate - Let's Go (vocals)
- 2019: Deichkind - 1000 Jahre Bier (vocals)
- 20??: Zaz - tba (vocals)
- 1988: Werner Lindemann - Mike Oldfield im Schaukelstuhl
- 2001: Sibylle Berg - Das Unerfreuliche zuerst
- 2002: Messer
- 2013: In stillen Nächten
- 2015: Die Gedichte
- 2017: Yukon
- 2018: Wir überleben das Licht
- 2019: 100 Gedichte
A full list of all released poems by Till can be seen here.
- 1999: Pola X
- 1999: The Debtors
- 2002: xXx Triple X
- 2003: Amundsen der Pinguin
- 2004: Vinzent
- 2011: Knorkator - Du nich
- 2018: Hänsel und Gretel
- 2018: Phuketgrad
- 2016: Alex Becker - Fallen Heroes
- 2016: Doctor Dick
- 2018: Badly Lindemann T-Shirt
- 2018: Decihell Lindemann shirt
Full article: Lindemann Tour
- Till's popular 'Till Hammer' move, wherein he hits his knee while headbanging during live performances came from a medical condition he had with his kneecap. Sometimes it popped out from the ankle and Till had to put it back in place on stage. So he started hitting his knee and would headbang to it. Because all others in the band approved of the move as a live activity, he keeps doing it to this day.